CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Empty
PostSubject: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:25 pm

This is some seriously messed up shit.

This guy was a former employee for 2 years. Listen to his story.

Yeah, I know that he starts off ranting and cursing about smaller things at first, but trust me. Stick with it until the last half of Part 1 and then in Part 2 when he really gets going on the important stuff.

(Part 2 contains a particularly sad story about Gamestop ripping off a little 5 year old boy)

Some of these stories are astounding. Well worth listening to. (Also, I have to admit that his anger is pretty entertaining. He's well-spoken but also a pretty angry guy, which kinda reminds of me, to be honest. Razz

(P.S: Gamestop is a North American game store franchise that is infamous for almost unanimous negative feedback from Gamers with many stories just like these.)

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

PART 6 (Special Surveillance Tape Edition)

PART 7 (The epic final chapter)
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 1:51 am

Haven't got time to watch these today, but it doesn't surprise me that these place rip people off. The game stores in the UK are pretty much all robbing bastards as well. The trade-in values are shocking low, and the mark-up when they then sell them a 2nd time is astronomical. Buy a "pre-owned" game and its about £35 for a £45 game. Trade it into the store though, and they give you about £12.

CEX (Computer Exchange as was, now something Entertainment Exchange) used to be the worst. They also ripped people off on imports. Back in the days of the Sega Saturn I had a Japanese machine that was all region, and they used to get import games in. Fair enough, being imports you expect to pay a little more, but I remember being in the shop and waiting with a few other people for a delivery of Sega rally. Games retailed about the £35 mark, imports probably £45-50. When it arrived, because people were waiting for it, they announced "Its arrived, but its going to be £69".

I thought the price was rather appropriate, and went back a week later. It was £49 then!
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 2:12 am

Sadly it's the way of the world. If companies know you'll spend silly amounts to get it then they will charge you that. The only way to really stop it is for everybody to say 'I'm not paying that' like you did DS. But they don't. There will have been some people, I'm sure, that paid £69. So CEX will reason that they can charge it again. I'm not saying it's right - it certainly isn't - but from a financial position you can't blame just blame the companies. People need to stand up for themselves or do what you did, wait until they have dropped the price.
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 2:13 am

Gamestop does a lot worse than that, when you have time to watch these, you'll be truly shocked at what goes down.

....Part 2 and Part 6 probably have the most jaw droppingly shocking stories (That poor little 5 year old boy... such a sad and pathetic story. Sad )

But it's all amazing. I mean, this is like 48 Hours Investigative Reports level of shocking, at times.

Price gouging is only the beginning. But it is horrendously bad.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 2:39 am

Or you could just summarise the worst bits - save us the time of watching it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 2:42 am

What he said! Wink
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 4:11 am

I could, but half the fun of reveling in the horror is his tone of voice, disgusted demeanor, interesting choice of vocabulary, the way he talks, and his general tone as the subject does indeed feel very personal to him. Wink

Much like describing a good movie, if I just did that, it would ruin it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 am

I listened to part 2...

To be honest, he sounds like a whiny, egotistical git.

It would be nice if he could actually string a sentence together without a profanity - might make his points seem more valid and less like a rant.

Yes he has a point that Gamestop (like all game stores) give far too little in trade-in values, and yes, sometimes they will sell a knackered system as though its good as knew. As I pointed out, we all know that. But really, unless he was ridiculously wet behind the ears, one wonders exactly what he expected to find when he started working there?

This sounds a lot more like a personal vendetta (possibly against the manager he rants against) than an attempt to genuinely expose the company.

As for the story of the five-year-old. Well arguably the store should have refused to take the games from him unless he had an adult with him. Most stores here won't now take trade-ins from kids. However, by the same token, the parent shouldn't be letting a 5 year old get into that situation, and whether or not the trade in values are too low, the store was right that once the transaction has been done, that's it. TBH, I think that's regrettable, but not that awful.

And the 25c for Madden story? Not surprising given the number of yearly sports titles that get traded. Again, lots of stores here won't even take the yearly franchises as trades.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:43 am

God this bloke is a whinger. I listened to 1 & 2 and so far I haven't heard anything I thought "What a stitch-up". Think he's just trying to exaggerate how bad the shop is to make himself feel better.

Of course it's all about the bottom line: money. All businesses are. Seems a bit naive to be a manager to me hahahaha. Or co-manager, whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)   Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gamestop is EVIL. (Gamestop is the biggest US gaming store chain)
Page 1 of 1