CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Empty
PostSubject: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:42 pm

At least these people on the news thought so, back in 1991.

Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Drogoth

Drogoth

Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 pm

It reminds me of the joke about if video games like Pac-Man had an impact on us we'd all be running around dark rooms to electronic music and chomping on white pills...Wink
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:29 am

Doesnt Jordan actually do that most weekends?
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 2:07 am

Hahahaha, who says week long Pacman sessions as a child hasn't influenced me?

In fact yesterday before we went go karting, I said to my friends we should bring a paintball gun, loads of banana skins and some basketballs in the kart with us for some real life Mario Kart action.

On topic: I like the woman's quote at the end. "I'll explain to him that people just market things to make money." What!? Really!? That is shocking, that companies aren't just selling a product, they're advertising it as well? :O
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 am

It's an outrage! It's evil! Wink
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 am

I will say, though, that video game addiction does share certain characteristics of drug addiction. Just because you don't smoke it or inject it or honk it doesn't mean it's not addictive and not detrimental to health. I think most of you know of my experiences with brain altering chemicals, and I got to say, the urge to play certain games after a long time has always been more than any urge I've ever had to dose myself on drugs. I think because of its minimal-effort to play, the ease of obtaining your fix (switching on your TV & console as opposed to driving to Glastonbury to meet some dodgy skinhead in some backstreet somewhere) and the fact that you can keep going for as long as you want and your deal never runs out, makes video game addiction a rather strange beast. I'm surprised that the guy that died of deep vein thrombosis a few weeks ago was the first. I know quite a number of people that, since leaving school, have turned into couch potatoes that stay inside and play video games all day and all night. One kiddie I knew who went to uni actually dropped out because he wouldn't do anything except play video games all day and all night without going to lectures or even eating some days.

With that in mind, I can see why people compare the two. However, it's up to the parent to discipline the child and bring said child up properly. Too many parents just prefer to blame everyone else though, then blame easy targets like Nintendo.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:18 am

Totally agree. Lots of things can be addictive - TV, video games, gambling, food - outside of the normally report drugs, nictotine and alcohol. Addiction is addiction. Like you say it's down to the parents to make sure that kids grow up right. It was the same with the riots. I saw one guy, quite correctly, pointing out there was little he could do NOW to stop his child. My point to him, though, would be that by now it's way too late and he should have been raising his kids better early on.

I'm Myron Robinson-Fox and I'm a elf and vampire addict...Wink
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:22 am

Well, then there's the whole thing about one being a chemical reaction and the other just being something you like a whole lot.

Maybe that's just me, though. Razz
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 2:42 am

The thing is they both release the same things in your body. It's more than just liking a lot. Take gambling. It has no drug related to it but a lot of people are addicted. Yes, drugs and the like can get you hooked. But you can get many forms of addiction!
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 3:32 am

Actually Mike, chemical reactions aren't limited to just drugs.

If you smoke and you get a craving, once you smoke a cigarette, the nicotine in your brain triggers the release of dopamine, the brain's feel-good chemical that's released when your body feels you have earnt it. It's like a reward system. A dopamine release is what your body wants, and it knows it will achieve this after smoking a cigarette, which is where the cravings come from. This isn't just tobacco. Alcoholics experience something similar, as do habitual weed smokers, heroin users, cocaine users etc. So do people addicted to non-drug things like comfort eating, sex/masturbation, video games, gambling etc. The list goes on and on. Anything can be addicting really. Like I said in my above post, just because you don't inject or smoke a fix of video games doesn't mean you're not addicted or it's not detrimental to your health. Addiction is addiction. Heroin addicts and smokers, gamers, gamblers and chronic masturbators all suffer from the same thing.
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 am

Actually, yeah, you're right.

Now that I actually really put my mind to think about it, yeah the dopamine reaction (which I knew of, but forgot about until you reminded me) does specifically link pleasure reactions in the brain with the same chemical release that such drugs also release.

Due to completly different stimulus, yeah. But then again, as you allude to, it's also the same difference between laughing and comfort eating, as well. Differing levels and inclusions of the chemical being released, but you're right. It's just different ways to release the same thing.

So technically, yeah. You're right and my oversimplification was wrong. ;P

That still doesn't make the people in that video any less full of shit though. haha. Just a bunch of angry, annoyed parents looking for someone to get ticked off at, because they had to dig into their own wallet to buy their kid a SNES they want.

Just the same type of parents that get grumpy and pissy because they had to buy little jimmy a new bike, and blame the bike for "stealing their money."

It really is the parent's fucking fault that they have to whine in the first place. They're the parent. As much as I think kids deserve to play games, if they don't want their kids to have a SNES, they just need to put their foot down and say "NO. YOU AREN'T GETTING A SUPER NINTENDO AND THAT'S FINAL."

It's the parents fault for caving in anyway, especially if the kids cried and whined about it. When you're 11 and you throw a hissyfit for not getting an SNES, it's not because that kid's addicted. It's because he didn't get what he wanted. All kids act like that. Whether it's an SNES, a cookie, or 10 dollars. Razz
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 7:43 am

Oh, absolutely. The media really do love making the video game industry look like a bunch of crooks who makes games specifically targeted to turn teenagers brains into mush. If people started taking responsibility for what their child does there wouldn't even be a situation!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.   Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Video Games are evil, mind controlling, mind altering substances that forces children to become dependant on them like drugs.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CXA Universe :: Topics, Discussion, and Talk :: General Conversation-
Jump to: