CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gaming Transition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RobArnold

RobArnold

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 am

So I picked up the sega mega collection for the 360 yesterday for a bargain price, and had a spare 30minutes, decided to play Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. To my dismay, I was pants at it, and I mean, a hell of a lot more pants than when I used to play it. I also found the same with other games, like Golden Axe, I was good at that game once!

So my point is, has the newer generations of gaming, and styles and tactics ruined our retro gaming ability? I have no problems with any game I tend to pick up nowadays. I just feel like I've lost my retro-talents!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 7:16 am

No, I don't think its that new games have reduced our ability on the old games. I simply think its a question of time.

Back at the time these games were current and you were playing them all the time, you had the details of the game firmly lodged in the front of your brain. You knew the games, subconsciously you had learnt the controls and and game routines. You knew the attack patterns on a game like Golden Axe, you had the timing down.

Now, after a few years in which you haven't played them, that information isn't there at the front of your mind. You remember the game, but those little details are gone. So of course you aren't going to be as good at them as you were when you were playing them all the time.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:00 am

I also have said collection but for the PS3. I played SoR2 through to the end expecting me to get raped in a few levels. Nope, still got it! But then I used to play it to completion on Hard twice a day for about 3 years.

The others, na, I sucked ass. And since I don't play em I still suck ass
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 am

I agree with DS. If I play a game to obsession then I have to get back into the swing of the others. And that's the more recent games I've been playing. I would imagine that I'd be even worse at the older games!
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 am

I think games have gotten easier as time has rolled on. They're also a LOT shorter, although I guess that's the price of insanely good quality graphics.

My favourite console is the PS1 and I still play PS1 games on the PS2 now. Some games could be quite challenging. I've played a few and there's been times when I've thought, 'christ how did I get good at this as a kid?' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RobArnold

RobArnold

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 6:46 am

Do you really think they've got shorter? Easier perhaps but I wouldn't say shorter at all!

I think one reason why I struggle on older games now is timing, you get so used to pressing a button and the action is immediate, I find the older games have a very slight delay, and getting used to that is a nightmare!
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:11 am

Some games I find to be shorter. Others not. AC2 actually was pretty long, which was good.

I guess it could just be my ability to learn & play then complete new games, but I've played quite a few games on the PS3 and thought, 'this is the last level? is this it?'. You can complete some of them in a few hours.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:12 am

Also Rob: CAW!!!
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 4:46 pm

julius seizure wrote:
Also Rob: CAW!!!

Uploading a video of it now.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Top boy! Very Happy Cheers mate i appreciate your help
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Posted it in my thread.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 am

Some games are very short these days. Kane and Lynch 2 took me about 8 hours to finish. However, others still have a decent shelf-life. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for example, or Red Dead Redemption.

Plus, game life is about more than just the one playthrough. A really good game is something that will have you coming back to play it even after you have run through it. That's where a game like Smackdown scores for me, or Forza Motorsport 3 - I'm always dipping back into that.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Sponsored content

Gaming Transition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming Transition   Gaming Transition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaming Transition
Page 1 of 1