CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Simple pleasures

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Simple pleasures Empty
PostSubject: Simple pleasures   Simple pleasures Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 am

I had a really enjoyable Saturday yesterday, doing something I've not done in donkey's years.

Last week I watched a programme on National Geographic about the LEGO factory in Denmark. Amazing building and amazing set-up, and when they showed you the LEGO R&D department and how they design new models, it really gave me a great appreciation of how much work goes into making a LEGO piece when a new design is called for.

As it happened, I went to Bluewater on Thursday (one of the UK's largest shopping malls) and they happened to have a LEGO store. I walked past idly looking in the window with my new found appreciation.... and then I saw it.

A 1962 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van in LEGO!!!

Now I love Volkswagens (my Skoda Superb is part of the VW group) and I especially love VW buses and Camper vans. I used to have one. So when I saw that model, I basically just had to have it. I was talking to the person in the shop and she told me that this particular model was LEGO's best seller last Christmas, bought mainly by adult VW fans, and that demand was ridiculous, to the point that on Christmas eve, a guy walked into the shop and, on discovering it was sold out, offered £1000 in cash for the one in the window. If you go on the LEGO website, its listed under the "hard to find" section.

So anyway, I sat down yesterday to build it. 1332 pieces. It had been that long since I built a LEGO model I forgot the golden rule of organising the parts before you start, but once I sorted them all into the colour groups and got into it, it was really enjoyable to build. Just nice to sit and do something real and practical for a change. No video screens, no computers, just building something at my own pace.

And I'm really pleased with the result. Pictures are on Facebook.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

Simple pleasures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple pleasures   Simple pleasures Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 am

I've been to Legoland in Denmark...and I'm still officially a sheriff of Legordo!
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Simple pleasures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple pleasures   Simple pleasures Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 3:24 am

Nice! About 2 years ago one of my friends was ill with some kind of mental problem, and to keep his mind off it I went and got a Lego pirate ship that we put together one afternoon. We didn't follow the old "organising parts" rule and so it took 3 of us about 3 hours to put this thing together (Ages 6+...). It was a good crack, reminded me of simpler times.

It wasn't actual Lego, it was another brand but essentially the same. I couldn't find anywhere in Wells that sold actual Lego.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

Simple pleasures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple pleasures   Simple pleasures Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 11:59 am

One of our friends put a mechano model together...sans instructions!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Simple pleasures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple pleasures   Simple pleasures Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 1:55 pm

The instruction books -there were two of them- were pretty bloody chunky for that VW. Only difficult part was the colour coding. I spent bloody ages looking for a white panel as shown in the instructions, only to find out it was actually clear and just weirdly drawn in the book!
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Sponsored content

Simple pleasures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Simple pleasures   Simple pleasures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Simple pleasures
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CXA Universe :: Topics, Discussion, and Talk :: General Conversation-
Jump to: