CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Very festive Mike!

Go down 
+2
Julius Seizure
Mjolnir
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:34 am

Austerity measures being felt all around.

Still, that's more than we got. We didn't even get a proper Christmas lunch this year.

And I realised after I typed that that "Pulteney" is spelt without an "o" in it.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 am

We used to get a bottle each off of our sub-contractors. Last year we got 4 bottles between about 15. This year they could buy us one each as we just got "corporately downsized" again to 3 yesterday. Luckily, since I'm so goddamn amazing I kept my job. Think that deserves some kind of drinkable prize
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 7:31 am

Well done for still being employed.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 am

Hahaha, it's not so bad. If I did end up losing my job I'd be re-deployed so wouldn't be that soul destroying. I'd either work on modem installation (driving round servicing/changing special modems used for the FTTP [fibre-to-the-premise] project) or pole tester (drive around in a van banging hammers against poles to check they're not hollow or mouldy and generally fit for purpose)

It means our team of 3 will be covering the role of what used to be a 9 person patch, but hey you can only do what you can so I don't worry too much.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 am

Actually, you might be able to answer this. thinking next year of upgrading my broadband to BT Infinity. Either 40mg or 100mg if its rolled out where I am.

I've got two phone lines in the house, and it will be connected to the one upstairs. How much hassle and mess is it to run the set-up in for the fibre optics?
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:19 am

I dunno a lot about setting it up but from what I gather the NTE has to be in the place you want the router/modem/whatever. Currently the NTE should be at the first phone socket through the front door, usually in the hallway. So a bit of internal cabling might be required to push a connection through to the appropriate socket and fit the terminating block.

Like I said I'm no fibre engineer but I know people who are. On Monday I'll ask some of them to explain it to me
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:28 am

julius seizure wrote:
It means our team of 3 will be covering the role of what used to be a 9 person patch, but hey you can only do what you can so I don't worry too much.

Try telling my boss that. Two of the staff from my department got sacked on Thursday, but the boss is still expecting the same amount of work to be done as we did while they were still employed. He also told me they won't be replacing the two staff we lost.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:45 am

They usually use the phrase 'we can work smarter' when talking about doing 'more with less'. Oh, so you're not only sacking people you're saying the people that are left haven't been doing their job right...
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:09 am

Oh yes, the old "work smarter" "Leaner and more efficient" cobblers. Relying on the good will of people to work stupid hours and cause themselves stress - great way to run a company.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 6:59 am

Hahaha yeah, well I can see why we got down-sized. Work's not exactly mental at the moment, but around June when it picks up its going to be fucking nuts and we'll have to get more in. This shouldn't be a problem.

The good thing about being in such a massive corporation is that the orders come from about 3 tiers above and my level 1 boss wholeheartedly agrees with us that most of orders from above are shortsighted bullshit and he actually tries to help us. Fortunately he's not one of "those".

Although you wouldn't think it, a bit of personal integrity goes a long way in my office. I've had a few people try to give me shit in there but if you stand your ground they soon back off. Just like school..... >_>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very festive Mike!   Very festive Mike! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Very festive Mike!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CXA Universe :: Topics, Discussion, and Talk :: General Conversation-
Jump to: