CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Empty
PostSubject: WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!   WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 1:14 am

As i think its just about driven me past my limits as far as WWE PPVs are concerned.

Orton and Christian had a decent match, pretty good in fact. And the WWE finally booked the Michael Cole angle to come to the conclusion it should have had two PPVs. We even got to see Rey Mysterio losing (though it was to R Truth, which spoilt it somewhat) but the PPV was going along at the usual "Nothing great, nothing offensive" standard you'd expect for 2nd string WWE PPVs....

And then we came to the main event. Miz .v. Cena in an I Quit match. We then proceed to see Cena get the ever loving christ beaten out of him for 20 minutes. Fair play to him for taking some brutal shots with the kendo stick and leather strap. He's going to be marked to hell this morning. Miz and A-Ry put a beating on him and have him basically dead in the ring. Then, 20 minutes in, Miz uses a voice recorder to replay a message of Cena saying I Quit....

...a recorder?

....really?

...But if you had that thing, why spend 20 minutes beating on him? Why not waffle him with a chair 5 minutes in and use it? Why not use it at any of the other times Cena was down and you could have made it work? Why tell the kids in the audience to beg Cena to stop. If all you care about is getting the strap back and are prepared to cheat like that to do it, why not do it early on?

And then of course you are so monumentally dumb that you leaving the sodding thing on the floor for the ref to find?

....really?

So the ref restarts the match........and suddenly just like Popeye guzzling down spinach, Cena is completely restored to full health and moving like he hasn't taken a single shot in the entire match. HE WAS DEAD 30 SECONDS AGO FOR FECK SAKE!!!!!

So he chases Miz, and slaps the STF on.....just about the only move he's put on in the entire match, and Miz (who lets remember has escaped that move several times in previous matches) taps immediately.

....immediately

....really?

It was just sickeningly ridiculous booking. Far better would have been to have Miz realise he couldn't get the kid to tell Cena to quit, so to have then dragged the kid over the barrier and threatened him with a chair until Cena - fearing for the kid's health - says "I Quit" to save him. Gets Miz over as a complete bastard without damaging Cena. Cena can then win the title back at Capitol Punishment in a patriotic Washington all American boy schmaltz bullshit extravaganza.

After this I may be done with WWE PPVs. Already if we have to pay for them I don't bother, but I may now not even bothering taping the free ones. I'll look up the results and catch a repeat if it sounds good.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!   WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 2:22 am

I think this just proves one thing above all others...

The WWE is done taking itself seriously and it's done being a wrestling show. Especially from the writing standpoint.

There still exists some wrestling, but gone is any attempt to be sensical.

I will tell you what the WWE is right now, and I think you will agree, given the show you just witnessed: The WWE is basically a cartoon, now.

World Wrestling Entertainment has somehow morphed into the equivalent of a saturday morning cartoon from the late 80's and early 90's.

It fanbase now is primarily targeted towards small children who buys WWE toys, and shops for kid sized WWE t-shirts and John Cena pajamas at K-Mart.

And this main event of Over The Limit is the same kind of logic and sense you expect from an episode of The Transformers, Street Sharks or G.I Joe.

And I have had a strong theory for a long time now that WWE isn't just "fucking it up" or "messing it up".... this is intentionally, Saturday Morning Cartoon logic from 1992, intended for an audience that the WWE producers no longer give any credit to and are just content to market to children by treating all of it's viewers like children.

Sadly, there's no real room for wrestling fans in the WWE of today and I think it's past obvious at this point that Vince McMahon and the WWE producers are trying, very aggressively so, to hammer this fact in as hard as possible.

WWE has become a product that is alien and unfamiliar to us that remember the time period in which the product was much better, these days and clearly have no interest in anything that a wrestling audience wants.

Their sales figures from playsets at Toys 'R Us are now more important than the product, and the product itself is written and booked with all of the grace and dignity of a Hanna Barbera cartoon. I just think that it's not coincidence, but by design now.

Unfortunately, I think you're right to feel insulted, David. Yet at the same time, I think that's just because this simply is not our WWE anymore. It belongs to 7-12 year olds, and is obvious written at the level of such, from now on.

Because just reading that match result honestly sounded like the plot resolution to an episode of The Superfriends, where the goofy villian has his silly masterplan that the stalwart Hanna-Barbera hero fixes by pulling the switcheroo.
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!   WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:59 am

Quote :
I think that's just because this simply is not our WWE anymore. It belongs to 7-12 year olds, and is obvious written at the level of such, from now on.

I think that's one of the truest statements I've read. I think you're absolutely right. Its simply not the same company it once was, and I think you're right that its deliberately being booked in this way. Maybe as I get older I am more jaded about it, perhaps its because I can still see reall good old fashioned wrestling regularly with UK promotions, I don't know. But I do know I a, drifting away from being bothered about mainstream wrestling anymore. I still watch on a weekly basis, but if I happen to miss it now for any reason, its not the end of the world. At one time it would have been.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!   WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:25 am

As I've said before the WWE isn't for me anymore. I was a fan during the Hogan/Warrior days, I was a fan during the attitude days. It's always been a little on the silly side (why does nobody ever hear a chair shot? Why don't the review the tapes? etc) but that was part of it's charm. For me, it now suffers from both stupid booking/storytelling and a lack of very many people I would want to see. Gone are my faves, replaced by people who are OK but nothing to get me excited.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!   WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm

I haven't watched wrestling in years. I can't say it really appeals to me anymore. The storylines, anyway. I do like watching a good match, as long as it's good. I'd go and watch a live show again though, they tend to do really good shows.

Next time there's an indy show you're going to, Dave, let me know, I might be able to come up. Stay at a travelodge init. We'll go out after the show and get some bitches Razz any other CXA'rs feel free to join us, btw if we only get one bitch we can pass her round yeah? Cool
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!   WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Init...lordy, they really made that a 'proper' word, didn't they...anyways, moving on...Wink

I've been to a few of the indie shows and, for me, they are leagues ahead of the WWE or TNA right now, even without the money. They have a better understanding of what fans like us like and they put on better matches.

Before he imploded I used to keep checking for Jeff's results, looked out for Taker or Jericho, etc. Now I don't even do that. I'll stick to the indies, for now, and if either Gangrel or Kevin Thorn came over I'd try and see them, just to content myself I had.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!   WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WWE Over the Limit - May have been aptly named!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CXA Universe :: Topics, Discussion, and Talk :: General Conversation-
Jump to: