CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Banning Children

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Banning Children Empty
PostSubject: Banning Children   Banning Children Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:35 am

No, I don't actually want to ban children, but there is something of a debate going on at the moment here in the UK about plans by some airlines to introduce "adults only" flights.

The airlines say there is a demand from their passengers for flights where no kids are allowed, but parents groups are up in arms and those that support the moves are being branded child-haters with no tolerance and no recollection of their own childhood. So I'm looking for opinions.

Personally, I think its a very very good idea, and I strongly support it. But not because I don't like children, and not only from the side of the adult. I also support it from the side of the kid.

Having been on several long-haul flights where children have been a disruptive influence or spoilt the journey, I really would like to have the option of not having them on the flight. You pay a lot of money to travel on a plane, but you are stuck in a small confined space and have no way of getting away from these kids. Its not like a train where you can move to another carriage. I've had kids crying on flights, I've had children kicking the backs of seats or thinking the seat is some sort of fairground ride, and its simply horrible. It makes the journey hell, and you arrive at your destination even more stressed, tired, and cranky. Having the option of a quiet flight where you know that isn't going to be a problem would be great. I honeslty don't see why, as a person who doesn't have kids, I should have to be inconvenienced and compromised by people that have chosen to have them.

I think those that say that its intolerant or that I don't remember my own childhood might like to think again about standards of behaviour. I'm afraid a lot of parents - by no means all, but a lot - simply don't have the same control over their kids as they did when I was young. I would never have been allowed to make lots of noise, bounce around in the seat, or run up and down the aisles. I was taught to behave in public and I respected that I had to. Unfortunately, getting kids to behave doesn't seem to be in fashion these days.

But as I say, I don't just want this from one side, I want it to happen for the sake of the kids as well. Because if you have adult only flights, you must by extension also offer family or "kid friendly" flights. We all know flying is boring, its boring for adults let alone kids, so I can understand them getting restless or fed up. On a kids flight, the airlines could offer more stuff for kids to do, more entertainment tailored to them, more options for them to play. And because the adults know what they are signing up to, they have no excuse to get annoyed and thus the responsible parents don't feel extra stressed that their offspring is causing trouble.

By offering both options, I think the airlines could keep everyone happy. And I'd certainly be prepared to pay a premium for an adult only flight.

But its not just flights. I'd like to see it extended to other things as well. I want adult only carriages on trains (its why I always travel 1st class on long train journeys) and I'd like to see adult only showings at cinemas. Just because a movie is PG rated doesn't mean I want to share it with 6 year olds who have attention spans measured in seconds. Some cinemas do offer adult only screenings, but always late at night. Offer one during the day. Just one showing on a Saturday when I won't have kids chatting on fecking mobile phones or talking during the movie. Once again, I often pay for the premium seating to get away from them (and thank God the cinema at the O2 has actually now made a "no under 18" rule in that section) but its rare to get that.

I'd also personally extend it to theatres, museums, and galleries as well. But I suspect that might be too far for some.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Banning Children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banning Children   Banning Children Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:20 am

I'd agree with you there, Dave.

If I behaved like a little shit like some kids on flights do now my mum and dad would have put me straight in a second. Like you said, the respect and general parenting skills don't seem to be around so much these days. Just look at the people on Jeremy Kyle. You can't hate these people, it's their parents fault for dragging them up and not investing enough time in raising them. Luckily for me I was brought up to have respect and to take responsibility for my actions.

Every time I've been on a flight with disruptive children, I've noticed the parents are quite happy to let their kids run amok, causing havoc, shrieking and screaming and running down the aisles, and like you said, you can't get away from them. Some long-haul flights have good entertainment facilities, don't get me wrong, but there's only so far you can be entertained while stuck in a tiny seat with no leg room. It's the attitude of the parents that pisses me off more than the kids themselves. They can't help it, they're just kids being kids.

Adult-only flights would definitely work. It fucks me off when these pressure groups suddenly pipe up when someone mentions a genuinely good idea like this because it sounds anti-children. Some people need to just grow up. If I was on a long-haul flight I'd much rather pay a bit more and not get stitched up sitting next to shrieking kids. It ain't a good way to start your holiday and it really fucks me off.
Back to top Go down
Faulerro

Faulerro

Banning Children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banning Children   Banning Children Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 5:55 am

I like the idea. While I've only flown once before so I can't judge what it's like with kids on flights, I've been through public transportation where children and teenagers have made the journey unbearable. I seriously think this should happen, for the sake of everyone.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

Banning Children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banning Children   Banning Children Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 am

I certainly think that we have seen a gradual drop in the way kids are controlled. Parents seem too lazy to do it or just use the excuse kids will be kids. There's a lot of good ones, I grant you. But there are some that let there kids get away with anything short of murder.

When I was a child if I stepped out of line then I knew about it. I didn't agree with it at the time but, looking back, I'd like to think it's stood me in good stead through the years.

So the idea appeals to me. I'm sure that if the airline chose to ask people to pay a little bit more then they would just to get piece and quiet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Banning Children Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banning Children   Banning Children Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Banning Children
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CXA Universe :: Topics, Discussion, and Talk :: General Conversation-
Jump to: