CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Back and Forth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Faulerro

Faulerro

Back and Forth Empty
PostSubject: Back and Forth   Back and Forth Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 am

So I had a word with Melanie. To be precise, we sparked a conversation following my impromptu hug that night and I eventually saw the chance to ask that question that I’d been putting off for a while. Maybe it was because of my focus on the task of hand that delayed me so, or maybe I’m just a big old coward, but whatever the case I asked her.

“Do you seriously want to beat up Soudouki?”

She laughed out loud at that, before saying, “Yeah, of course.”

“I can’t believe I’ve only just brought this subject up,” I told her, acknowledging how much I’d been dodging it the past month or so, “But here we are, and I’ve got to say, if I get the chance to meet her like I’m planning, I’m sort of hoping you don’t kill her before I get to chance to settle our issues.”

Melanie was still smiling amiably, but I could just see her bristling at the idea of me coming into contact with Soudouki. She kept her cool nonetheless, “Don’t worry, that’s not my intention.”

“Then what is?”

“To challenge her. There’s a reason I’ve been sparring with Parko more whenever I got the chance,” she informed me, and this was news to me, “I think I’m a big enough fan to get in the ring with her. My capoeira can only make matters easier.”

I was a bit taken aback by this admission, though to be honest, I should have seen it coming. I choose not to call her on the fact that she isn’t really trained in wrestling, especially since that never stopped her from whooping me all those times.

“What I don’t get is why you need to do this? What would besting Sou at her own game accomplish for you?”

“You felt as though you were never good enough for wrestling, right?” she bluntly questioned me.

“Well... yeah,” I replied, having explained that fact to her before.

“Kind of like how I feel. Soudouki’s been an issue for me as long as I can remember, even though I haven’t been willing to admit it. She’s always got under my skin because of the way she acts, and it’s all made worse by the fact that she’s still pretty damn good at what she does. I’ll admit it, I’m envious of her. It’s hard not to be when you follow wrestling like I do and see her accomplishments. I still feel as though somebody needs to put her in her place, though. The world does not revolve around her like she seems to think, and for years upon years I’ve wanted to be the one to prove that to her. In a way, it’ll be validation for me as well.”

I have to say, from when I saw her last, it certainly seemed as though Soudouki thought just that.

“Plus, she was a total bitch to you, and nobody fucks with my friends,” she says with a deceptively sweet smile, “That’s why I want to do it.”

From that point, I understood. I can’t say I’m one hundred percent behind the idea, but there’s a vindictive part of me that does want to see Soudouki get humiliated. So sue me.

That’s why we left America just a few days ago. Parko chose to stay there, partly due to commitments with the PUG, partly because he has a real taste for the excitement that New York has to offer. We said our goodbyes after he treated us to a meal at a small but fancy sushi place, and with the money saved in my account from my wrestling days we took the first plane back to the South West of England.

Now I had talked to the people I wanted to, had a good feel of the business as it is now, and felt re-energised about my plans, it was time for the next step, and it involved going right back to where I came from. Really, all the way back.

When we’d shook off the jetlag, Melanie and I took a visit to another of my old friends at his place of work; a community centre in Shiphay. I remember having a birthday party here as a really young kid, back when it was hired out for all manner of events. These days it found its use as a wrestling school, the only of its kind in the whole of this town.

The old friend in question was also the proprietor of said school. In his early fifties, the greying brown buzzcut wrapped with an ever-familiar white headband gave way to tired but enthusiastic features, as the man recognised me. My currently un-dyed hair is far more like that which I possessed when he first knew me, after all.

“Well well,” he smiled, wrinkles converging around his half-opened eyes as he did so, grabbing my hand to shake it before I get the chance to extend it, “I never thought I’d see you around these parts again.”

“Hey there, Dan,” I greeted, giving him a big grin of my own, “Still teaching?”

He laughed heartily, although it sounded like more of a whisper in his aged voice, “Haven’t thought of stopping,” he turned to notice Melanie, and he took her hand as well, “Ayup, I’m Dan Kildel, you a friend of Christopher’s ‘ere?”

“Oh, yes. I’m Melanie Riggs,” she politely replied, “Pleasure to meet you.”

“Pleasure’s all mine,” he grinned wider, and perhaps a little too much as he looked the younger woman up and down. I cleared my throat to get him back on track.

“Oh, erm,” his attempt at conversational recovery began, “I ‘ate to wrap this up, but I’ve got a class going on in ‘ere. There’s a few young ‘opefuls looking to become big stars like you,” he said with a chuckle while motioning to me.

“Actually, do you mind if we join you?”

“Oh, really?” he asked, blinking a few times, “Sounds good! I think the kids would be ‘appy to see the pride of Torquay! You can sit in and me and the lads will show you ‘ow we’re teaching wrestling in the ‘bay.”

“No, we don’t just want to sit in,” I told him, my smile staying firmly put, “We want to be a part of the class.”

Dan rubbed a finger in his ear, unsure if he heard me correctly.

“What’s that now?”

“I’m looking to learn,” Melanie replied, and nodded in my direction, “And Chris here wants a refresher course.”

“And who better to learn from than the man who taught me to begin with?” I added, and patted the old geezer on the shoulder.

He just stared at us for what must have been a whole minute, before finally saying, “Bloody ‘ell, alright then. Get on in here, lad; miss.”

We both did just that. As I walked through the creaky, wooden doors, I spied a dusty old coat hanger on the wall that looks worse for wear. Nonetheless, I removed my thick, black jacket and encouraged Melanie to do the same with her long, brown trenchcoat. I hanged them both up on the same hanger, and even in its condition, it was still strong enough to support the both of them. As to be expected.

With my jacket removed, a tatty, red sleeveless shirt was revealed. Dan noticed it, and shook his head.

“Keeping that old thing, are you?”

“Of course,” I responded, “I’m going back to the start, after all. Seems appropriate.”

It certainly was.

To get to where we want to be, we have to take a few steps back and look at things with the perspective of a newcomer. That’s why I felt going back there was the right thing to do. That’s why I felt looking into the past would lay out a clearer path to the future.

It’s nearly two years later now, and I’m not so sure.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Back and Forth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and Forth   Back and Forth Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:05 am

Ooc:I'm really looking forward to the one where they meet now. This has been excellent.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

Back and Forth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and Forth   Back and Forth Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:32 am

ooc: hee. Yes. This is all really awesome. I want to see where this is heading, because my interested isn't just piqued. It's spiked. Yeah, I know.. a part of me really wants to see Mel vs Sou.
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

Back and Forth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and Forth   Back and Forth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back and Forth
Page 1 of 1