CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

IT'S FEBRUARY!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RobArnold

RobArnold

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 6:49 am

Afternoon chaps.

Just thought I'd give you an update as I've been horrendously quiet as of late. Work now no longer consumes my immediate life (so much so that the last two weeks I forgot about a ton of events). I've got a few things to do this week but then I should be much more focused on contributing here, also looking to get a lot more roleplays up.

Just for funsies, for the working men here, do you guys have obscenly busy periods at work? Are you seasonal? Other than January, I can get a little busy in October, and also April, but January is just hell for an accountant.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 8:34 am

Can't speak for Myron as he's not a policy official, but general policy teams in the Civil Service are at their busiest whenever they have elements in a Bill before Parliament - as we do now.

Because of the archaic way in which Parliament operates, deadlines during bills are absolute, unmoveable, and frankly ridiculous. You need to draft speaking notes on complex legal issues in about an hour, and can sometimes be there until 2 in the morning.

Outside of Bills, busy times for me are the last few days of the month when decisions go to Ministers on schools wishing to convert to Academy status. Inevitably there is some complex land issue (I own policy on school land) which no-one has given a moment's thought to up until now but which I now have to sit down and thrash out at the last minute.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:53 am

Welcome back, Rob! I look forward to all the RPs...Wink Seriously, good to have you back and looking forward to doing some stuff with you.

I work in training so our busy times actually tend to follow policy changes. New rules get brought in, caseworkers need to trained up. New management policy, ditto for managers.

I have a a fairly wide remit - I'm in charge of the MI, Finance, Better Management/IiP, Work Experience, Publicity, and Admin function for the L&D side. So that keeps me fairly busy. Reports tend to be done at the end of each month and each quarter so those are my busy times.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm

In my company, our customers are builders so our busy time is when the building trade is booming. Needless to say we've had very little work on for the last 2 years or so, so I can sit there drinking tea on Facebook & CXA all day, wear whatever I want, come in late, leave early & have piss-takingly large lunch breaks as my boss is based in Southampton and never comes in. I work a 36 hour week compressed into 4 days, so every week I get a day off, on a rolling pattern. So once a month I get a 4-day weekend.

It's a tough old job but someone has to do it. And in case anyone was wondering what it is, I work for a telecommunications company designing underground cable networks for housing developments and new businesses.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Does it worry anyone else that telecommunications - the vital life-blood that holds the business world, government, and these days the basic fabric of 21st century pop culture together, is in the hands of people like Jordan? Wink
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 pm

It is truly terrifying thought I will grant you that.

But like I said, someone has to do it! Would you rather me in Iraq with a real machine gun firing live bullets? Or how about air traffic controller at Heathrow?
Back to top Go down
RobArnold

RobArnold

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 2:11 am

To be fair I've got a mate in Afghan right now (Jordan, you know him, Jack Smith)...well I say right now, he's back for 2 weeks R&R. And no doubt there ARE people like Jordan out there right now, I've heard enough stories from Jack to suggest there are!

Also, I know Jordan has an easy ride, he even asked my old man the other day how I was doing and how much I was getting paid, I can only think he's that bored he's trying to head-hunt me to BT for the pure crack of it and it'll be somebody to banter with!
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 4:45 am

LOL you wish! My company only takes the best of the best! To work here you've got a have a certain something. I call it the BT Factor. I asked if you were doing well, not to head-hunt you for my firm (not my department), but just to see if you were real busy I guess. I don't think I'd headhunt anyone for my company. If they're useless they'll make me look bad, and if they turn out to be a great worker, well, they'll make me look bad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RobArnold

RobArnold

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 6:59 am

Last time I saw you, you said I wouldn't fit in because and I quote "you have to be a slacker to work in my office".

I'm having a similar problem with headhunting, I've kinda done it for a person I know, he's applying to work with me, i've told him if he fails the aptitude test I'll kick his ass so hard he'll be tasting my shoes.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:08 am

I didn't say that did I? Did I appear drunk to you when I said that? :O

No, in fact it's the opposite. High intelligence, utmost dedication, fast learning and a winning personality are just some of the traits required to work in my company. Not to mention a willingness to work with others, a passion for success and the drive to keep the company at the front of the telecommunications industry. Oh and you need a driving license too. If you believe you have what it takes to contribute to the future of communications as we know it, that's too bad because unfortunately at this time there are no vacancies.

God, I love my job
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:33 am

julius seizure wrote:
I didn't say that did I? Did I appear drunk to you when I said that? :O

Jordan, there are very few times when you don't appear off your face, so you need to narrow it down for him a bit more than that.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 8:01 am

Well IIRC the last time I saw Rob was in the pub. So, that pretty much answers that question, I guess.
Back to top Go down
RobArnold

RobArnold

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 6:24 am

Wrong...well kinda.

Last time I saw you was just before Christmas I believe, outside Tesco....

... You were about to get smashed, thus the kinda.

But yeah, you pretty much implied I was too good for your place, if anything. Wink

Oh and besides, I still remember the bleet you gave me to help you out with that maths exam, you'd have got nowhere without me!
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 7:22 am

Oh yeah! Fuckin right! Well done Rob. Passed it didn't I! Loads of them didn't and subsequently didn't get their payrise Very Happy

Well, too good I dunno about :p depends on your work ethic

(Keen young newstarts aren't good for a team of slackers)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

IT'S FEBRUARY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: IT'S FEBRUARY!   IT'S FEBRUARY! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IT'S FEBRUARY!
Page 1 of 1