CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Empty
PostSubject: WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.   WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 2:56 am

First off, I wanna say these are totally legitimate.

I know this because they guy who provided these on his Youtube also has full video of the Wade, Bulldog, Luger, Layla, and other DLC entrances.

So, here's the Nitro arena:

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. 13431425-663

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. 13431426-d46

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. 13431427-e0e

I have to say, I'm extremly disappointed in this. Actually, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say what I really think. It's TERRIBLE.

...It's just a lazy texture hack re-skin of the Raw arena in the game.

They just threw on an entrance set, and painted the exact same Raw set to look like Nitro, and called it done.

The real WCW Nitro looked nothing like this, and I really thought they'd try to build the actual recreation from Nitro, but no.

First off, the Nitro arena was much, much, much, much smaller.

They didn't have these Raw and Smackdown guard rails. They had fence rails, that were much closer in on the ring. The floor pads... also, completely wrong. Literally everything is wrong, here aside from the ring logo and the entrance set which vagely recalls Nitro.

I mean, look at that entrance set. What the hell? Those black curtains, behind the tron and wall scrolls... what the hell is that black curtain even connected to? Just floating up there on their own power?

Also, the seating of the Nitro arena was scrunched up much closer to the ring, because if you see any old footage of Nitro it's immediatly apparent that the crowd is usually in the way of the ring apron, because again, the venue was completely different and smaller, and I thought they'd bother to recreate that, especially if they can build separate PPV arenas in the game from the ground up, like Tribute To The Troops.

So, They can build an outside arena from scratch, but the Nitro arena is a lazy texture hack of Raw? Wow. This is the kind of work I expect from a texture rom hacker, not an official development team.

The announce section was set up by the entrance, where Shivione, Tenay, and Heenan used to sit, and it's completely absent. It's just the same Raw announce tables with WCW thrown on it.

Also, again... this is Raw's crowd, Raw's ramp, Raw's guard rail, Raw's crowd, Raw's announce table, this is the Raw set.

The Nitro set looks like this from several angles:

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. 13431702-a02

Size, scale, floor mats, announcer set, the building, crowd. Not even close to accurate.

I have to say, this is an incredibly lazy effort all around, and barely even worth it. This is seriously the best that Yukes could come up with?

Very poorly done, I think. I'll get it... because I already pre-payed for it. But I can be totally honest when I say that I'll barely ever use this, if at all. Not nearly as much as I initially planned to.

Maybe it's my own expectations that were too high.

But then again, my expectations were simply that the Nitro set would look like the Nitro set, and not look like Raw's, so... then again, maybe they weren't too high. I dunno. I just can't help but feel gypped by this.

Last edited by NightStarX on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.   WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:42 am

I think your expectations were WAY too high in the first place. This is exactly the set-up I was expecting, and personally I am perfectly happy with it.

Remember that regardless of the arena, the rest of the game has to work. Entrances have to work, pyro has to place, hotspots have to work, moves on the announce tables and barriers have to work, ladders and tables have to locate to the same place, the cage and Cell need to fit. You have to think of the practicalities of the game here. If we want to be really pick the biggest problem is the ring. WWE use a 20ft ring and WCW used a 16, but you can't remap every move in the game for the smaller ring, either.

I'm sorry, but TBH, it was utterly unrealistic to ever expect that they were going to change and remap all of that just to make the Monday Nitro arena "perfect". None of the other arenas are perfect. Wrestlemania for instance has a much shorter and narrower ramp than the real one. Even Tribute to the Troops is a reskin of the basic stage set-up. We were always going to get basically the same stage with some new WCW logos and a couple of banners. I never expected any different.

I like the arena, and I'll certainly use it for WCW matches. I'm happy. I just want to know when all this stuff gets released.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.   WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:53 am

I suppose so.

I've been in this spot before where I initially see something after waiting for it, feel like "This..... isn't what I was expecting", and then I come to enjoy it eventually.

But maybe you're right. I am probably too let down.

Although I can say that i'd at least wanna do the following with their setup:

- Replace the thick black guard rail with a fence rail of the same height, and I think all the animations would still work.
- Attach the black entrance curtains to some logical thing or point to show that there's a structure holding it up. Or just extend the black curtain to the sides, all the way, instead of being a mysterious floating square.
- Color the floor pads the proper flame color.
- Get rid of the WWF Tron, because they never had one.
- Put two banners in front in front and two behind it, instead of all four being on the same level
- Make the blue announce position where it should be. Or at least move the standard announce table up there. Or, if not that, color it blue.

Some of these things, I kinda think they at least could have bothered with.
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.   WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:18 am

Here's a crude mock-up of how I think this could have been fixed without altering the shape or scale.

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. 13431868-56d

I honestly think they could have done some of this.

Blue announce table, proper floor mats, fence guard rail, Tron removed, and extending the black curtain to the sides of the screen.

Looks SO much better, I think. Suddenly, it's looking a lot more like the Nitro I remember.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.   WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:19 am

I'll bet that once you start playing it with the WCW CAWs with their right theme musics and entrances, you'll like it well enough. It would be nice if it was perfect, but its certainly good enough to give the game the feel of Nitro, I think.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.   WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 am

Reaper wrote:
I'll bet that once you start playing it with the WCW CAWs with their right theme musics and entrances, you'll like it well enough. It would be nice if it was perfect, but its certainly good enough to give the game the feel of Nitro, I think.

I'm sure you're right.

It's still gonna bother me though, that there's these things (like in the mock-up picture) they could have bothered to do, or tried harder but didn't.

It's "good enough", but only just. The bare minimum of passable. It's the archtypical "shooting for a C-passing grade instead of going for the A+". But it'll have to do, yeah.

I'm sure that what this comes down to is just a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" point of view thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.   WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WCW Arena Pictures revealed. .....and I honestly am let down by it.
Page 1 of 1