CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A few wrestling titbits...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Drogoth

Drogoth

A few wrestling titbits... Empty
PostSubject: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 10:13 am

While I was away this weekend (before my stomach cut the weekend short and I had to duck out early from the camping) we did make it to Whitby. I love the place, even if was way too busy this weekend and I felt like crap. Must go back soon...

Anyway, while there they had posters everywhere for a Coulby Newham wrestling show. Apparently it's going to have not one but three Hell in a Cell matches! There was a list of people I haven't come across (DS, you might know more): Super Mark, 'The Grave Digger' Rick Masters (dressed in old Taker get up but clearly not him...or the Amercian Grave Digger either!), and 'Middlesbrough's own fan favourite' Turkish Delight.

The most interesting name on the bill, however, was 'WWE's latest
signing Valkabious'. It said he'd signed a developmental contract but I can't see him on NXT so I'm guessing he's not ready for that yet. Anybody come across him? Real name Andre Tyson.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 am

Also, I'd never picked up what Ricky Steamboat's, senior and junior, real surname was. I've read where they got it from but I still think that Ricky Blood is a chance missed! Even more so his brother Vic, who if he'd used his own middle name and surname would have been Hersey Blood!
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 10:23 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Tyson Says on Wikipedia that he signed with WWE, and was assigned to FCW. Also says he's recently admitted assault in a bar, so I'm guessing he'll be out of WWE sooner rather than later.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 11:11 am

Cheers, for some reason I didn't think to check Wiki...odd as it's go to! Seeing that he's only been there since the beginning of the year he's wasted that opportunity if he's blown it already!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 4:05 pm

TBH, I've not heard of any of them, but then there are any number of small promotions running across the country. Would love to a see how a small-time UK indy promotion manages to pay for and build a Cell, and then how they erect it during a show. In my experience of indy shows running cage matches, you always end up with about a 20 minute delay either before or after the match while it gets put up or taken down.

Went to IPW:UK's summer sizzler show tonight. Excellent stuff as usual, but I didn't realise that the company is splitting. Seems that the main shows will now be run under a new name of Revolution Pro Wrestling (RevPro, or RPW). That will include the Sittingbourne shows, like the October weekender featuring Jerry Lynn. The smaller scale shows in Swanley have been dropped from the main promotion (not sure if they are continuing under the IPW name or under another name).

Anyway, the show tonight was excellent. Main event 30 minute Iron Fist match between Sha Samuels and Marty Scurll had the crowd absolutely rabid, and ready to tear Sha's head off when he and Spud cheated to deny Marty his chance to become a triple crown champ. Then Project Ego took advantage of Marty's weakened state to cash in their MITB case and become the new champions (ensuring Zack Sabre Jr doesn't go off to Japan with the British tag belts in his possession). Bit of a downer to end the Summer show with, but sets up Marty for revenge on Sha and Spud come October.

US import and Drsgongate US champion Johnny Gargano had a fantastic technical match against Zack earlier in the night. Showed how far Zack has come, and I think Gargano will be welcomed back with open arms. Also great, technically, was Scotland's Noam Darr .v. Ireland's Prince Devitt. First time I have seen Devitt but WWE need to hire this guy to fill out the light heavyweight roster and feud with PAC when they bring him up.

There was also a crowd injury tonight. Young kid frozen like a deer in the headlights as Gargano and Sabre took the air to dive outside. Back of the chair that they crashed into sent flying backwards into his face. Looked nasty as they pulled him out screaming. Some blood in his mouth. IPW people immediately on the scene to apologise and help out the kid, wrestlers spoke to him at the interval, kid happy with photos and merchandise. All good.

So now its roll on October and Jerry Lynn's last UK appearances.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 2:28 am

Sonds like a fab show. Didn't know Sabre was going to Japan. Who will he be wrestling for? Glad the crowd thing didn't get ugly. If you take your kids to this type of show you have to be aware of the possiblities.

I'm guessing that's why they are doing three matches in the Cell. Do the first half of the card, put it up during the interval, then do all of your last three matches in there. Like you I'd be interested to see what it was like.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 am

I think Zack's wrestling for pro-wrestling NOAH. He's done a couple of short tours, but now they want him over there for longer to get behind pushing him. His style will work quite well out there.

Agreed on the crowd thing. It's one of those things. The wrestlers do try to spot a relatively safe place to aim, where there are mostly fans on their 20s and 30s who will move, but you can't always guarantee it. The crowd know there are no barriers - you need to be prepared to move. IPW handled it well though.

I think you should go to the show - just out of interest.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 5:49 am

I would have if it had been in Whitby but it was somewhere more North East, I think.

Good luck to Zack, he's got the stuff to make it over there I think. It's a shame that the WWE doesn't still use it's light-heavy stuff, although hopefully Pac can get past that.
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 am

I'd love to go to that show. It'll either be brilliant, or really crappy with a cheaply made HIAC.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 am

I've actually managed to find it...

https://www.facebook.com/events/369526056450329/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few wrestling titbits...   A few wrestling titbits... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few wrestling titbits...
Page 1 of 1